Friday 21 March 2014

Watch This: An African City

Before starting this blog we thought a lot about our "message" and what our theme would be, we wanted to be authentic and positive without being "preachy". One of the the turning points in my life was watching a TED talk a few years back by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on  The Danger Of The Single Story, particularly the single story of Africa. Africa is synonymous with war, poverty and AIDS. Pris and I thought that our blog could be part of an effort many Africans are making to correct some of the damage done by the single story of our continent. This isn't a soap box its just a blog but we hope by following our stories you'll alter your perception of what it means to be a young African woman.

And so while on Tumblr I stumbled upon An African City, a new web series set in Accra, Ghana. Instant LOVE!  Its being hailed the "African Sex And The City"  although personally I think its more like Girlfriends. Dealing with the day to say struggles, triumphs and drama that come with being a young African woman educated abroad and trying to in the "modern" Africa. An African story as only Africans could tell it.The stories, humor,  the characters, the "REALNESS". They are talking about issues I deal with on a daily basis (and I've never even lived abroad)! I cant totally relate to this and I bet a lot of you Makgarebe out there can too. Its witty, funny, well produced and the fashion is amazing ... am I gushing ? An African City is exactly what Makgarebe is all about..Fun, fearless young African females. 





Currently the first three episodes are on YouTube. Warning its raunchy and holds no punches. Not for the easily offended. My personal favorite is the current episode.. "An African Dump" I'm so tempted to go all "spoiler alert" on you....*sigh* Anyway check it out and let us know what you think. Do we need more shows like this ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

here's your chance