Wednesday 19 March 2014

How To Make Kelewele







Kelewele is what we call fried plantain over here in Ghana. It’s really, REALLY easy to make. It will take you fifteen minutes tops, and it tastes delicious. I like to fry them till the outside is crispy, you’ll get a really nice crunch as you bite into the warm, sweet centre. Kelewele is made with overripe plantain, when they are on the verge of saying “adios cruel world, let me succumb to the inevitable rot!” that’s when they are at their softest and sweetest. Plantain is really good for you it has a high potassium, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A content and enough starch to keep you going the whole day... Let’s all say yay to healthy eats… even though it’s fried…. BUT it’s fried in vegetable oil! So… good fats and potassium. WIN!

Frytol, we use it to fry everything in Ghana
Ripe plantain, yum!
Just peel, slice to whatever shape you want, some people prefer cubes or thin disks, but I like them in thick wedges. Then rinse with water, sprinkle with a little salt. Make sure you heat the oil in your pan till its piping hot before you add the plantain, they cook really fast. They’ll turn brown quickly and some even black on some areas but don’t stress that’s what it’s supposed to look like. Make sure not to overcook though! Strain to remove excess oil or use tissue paper. And, all done!


 I have a massive sweet tooth so I’m addicted to them, and they taste great with a little salt and cinnamon. But those of you out there with adventurous taste buds can sprinkle a little pepper on it to give a nice zing that is quickly quelled by the sweetness underneath...


In Ghana we can buy kele wele from street vendors and just eat as is, but in my house we like to eat it with beans. Some black eyed beans boiled for a few hours with a little salt added and voilà, a complete meal well balanced meal

Make sure it browns nicely
Doesn't it look scrumptious!?
Since I’ve come to Ghana I haven’t had any real beef! The stuff in tins is a lie! It’s like I’ve become a vegetarian!! -_- I’m not about that life. The doctor told me I’m anaemic, I know why! I’m not getting my fix. What I wouldn't do for a large, juicy, Steers burger right about now. Sigh. One of you take pity on me and DHL me something delicious. In the meantime, I will content myself with kelewele. 

Have you ever had fried plantain? How do you make it? Comment and tell me all about it







No comments:

Post a Comment

here's your chance