Thursday 12 June 2014

Fruity Football

The World Cup starts in a few hours and the chances of Ghana making it out of the group stages is slim to none. Check out my defeated stance below.

Oh! The humanity!


According to most predictions Ghana is doomed and will not be making it out of Group G since we have been pitted against Germany, Portugal and the USA. There is not a lot of hope for us and as such there is not as much news coverage on the world cup as in previous years, probably to soften the blows of defeat we may face. But I say bullocks to that! Go Ghana! Where there is a will, there’s a way and football has always been one of the most unpredictable sports out there. It just takes a team with unfailing heart, part luck, part prayer, and one player with sure aim and confidence and we can make it. So the way I see it, we have as much chance as everybody else out there on the field. So…. my money is on the Black Stars!!



In other news, I have discovered a new fruit! Okay, maybe discovered is the wrong word, it was always here, I just did not know it existed, let me not put myself in the same boat as Cecil Rhodes and Christopher Columbus, taking credit for something that belongs to Mother Nature. So the other day I was given a fruit I have never tasted before; green and prickly, roughly the size of a large mango with a white, fleshy, center. I was beyond sceptical, new foods always seem to disappoint me but I was surprisingly blown away by its awesomeness.

It doesn't look so good on the inside, but looks aren't
everything people! Its what you taste like that counts!!
The fruit is called soursop or ‘aluguntugui ‘ (pronounce aloo-goon-too-gooey, now say that three times fast) which is the local name for it. How to describe the taste? Like the tanginess of an orange mixed with one part pineapple sweetness and one part creamy banana aftertaste.  The flesh is quite chewy and bursting with juiciness. I have found my new favourite snack! I’m sure to all you readers who have grown up in the tropics this fruit is not new to you and you have been eating it since you were a wee kinder but some of us growing up in the harsh climes of the Kalahari had no such exotic delicacies, and I plan on indulging till I’m sick to death of its Vitamin C rich goodness.


I will be sure to be munching on some as I watch the opening ceremony tonight and as I watch Ghana kick some American butt in their first match a few days from now. I got football on my mind people, the world cup comes only every four years!

V for Victory!
(wearing a tailor made peplum dress
and thrifted pumps)

1 comment:

  1. I've learned to be a skeptic and given I know nothing about football, sorry Ghana... I wish you take a beating like the strong men you.

    As for fruit, it looks meh... but I've been wrong before. So send some over and hope they allow it through the EU boarders.

    ReplyDelete

here's your chance