Tuesday 20 May 2014

ASOS Africa

Growing up all I wanted to be was a fashion designer (when I wasn't fantasizing about becoming a Doctor or Crime Scene Investigator). I drew dresses on any piece of scrap paper I could find and everyone said I was pretty good. Everyone (well almost everyone ) also said I would never make money as a fashion designer in Africa. “Africans don’t buy designer clothes” they would say, “the most you will amount to is a tailor, mending clothes and making wedding party attire”. Although I didn't become a fashion designer (well at least not yet) I’m glad there are people out there who are proving the nay-sayers wrong one sold out collection at a time. People who haven't taken no for an answer.

The online fashion giant ASOS is providing a platform for selected African designers to sell their products to a larger market through their ASOS Africa fashion line. The greatest thing about it is that the proceeds go back to the African communities they sourced the products from and so when you purchase a garment,  not only do you get to look fantastic and you get to feel warm and fuzzy inside too. Making a difference always makes me feel warm and fuzzy, don't act like it doesn't do the same for you. Another awesome thing about is that  as with all ASOS products delivery is free world wide. One of the hardest things about online shopping in Africa is that they hardly deliver to countries like Botswana but ASOS does. I checked. So Watch this space for a blog post on my experiences online shopping with them.

Currently in stock are pieces from their A/W’13 and S/S’14 collections made by artisans in Kenya and Nigeria respectively. The 2014 collection is has its materials sourced and created entirely in Nigeria using African Prints and African Organza  for a young, fresh and modern look. The goal is to use the proceeds to promote business growth in artisans responsible for the collection.  I only have one question for you, why are you still reading??? You should be on ASOS right now purchasing something, you know you want to!


But In case you need more convincing (can't imagine you do) here are some of my favorite pieces from both collections I mentioned, Sadly some have already sold out (wipes tears).









Wait you're still here? Go on and Shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

here's your chance